Re: Fwd: Re: Installing from RPM as GTK+

[ CC'ing back to gtk-list ]

Stephanie Bryant <steph scottrell com> writes:

> Owen,
>
> I found your name listed as the packager for gtk2-2.0.1-1gtk.i386.rpm, which
> I downloaded from gtk.org
> (ftp://ftp.gtk.org/pub/gtk/v2.0/binary/RedHat-7.2/RPMS/i386).
>
> I am having trouble installing this package and having it get recognized as
> gtk+. Redhat 7.2 seems to install it as gtk2, and does not upgrade the
> version of gtk+-1.2 that is currently installed. I am trying to install a
> program that uses gtk+-2.0, and I get an error message when I try to do so.
>
> I sent an email to gtk-list describing this problem, and the response
> (forwarded below, with original message) suggested that I contact you to
> request new RPMs, because RPM is identifying gtk2-2.0.1-1gtk.i386.rpm as the
> correct package for gtk+.

The gtk2 package intentionally is meant to along side the GTK+-1.2
package, which is why ithas a different name. If it replaced
GTK+-1.2, all GTK+ applications on your system would stop
running.

I believe that your problem is that you didn't install the -devel
packages along with the main package. The -devel packages include
the necessary header files and support information for compiling
programs against GTK+.

Regards,
                                        Owen