Re: [gtkextra] Disabling middle mouse button paste in GtkSheet

First of all, a general comment:

>Gtk+ signal handling is really rough around the edges.  It's *really*
>hard to do anything beyond processing "clicked" events and the
>occasional select/ unselect_row.  (Like my attempt to hack around
>severe limitations in the GtkCombo widget causing XFree86 4.x to
>crash.)  At least much harder than Motif is...

Please be careful when making blanket assertions like this. Its
apparent that you don't fully understand the signal/event handling
process, and thats not necessarily your fault - the mechanism in GTK+
1.2 is quite hard to understand and the documentation can be a little
misleading.

But not fully understanding something is not the basis for saying that
"its rough around the edges". Poor or inadequate documentation,
maybe. I am fairly familiar with both systems, and I can assure you
the GTK+ one is a lot more flexible and elegant than the system in
Motif once you understand it. Its also the case that some widgets have
been implemented in ways that interfere with the elegance of the
overall system. This isn't a comment on GTK+ signal handling, its a
comment on the implementation of a certain widget. GtkCombo is a
particular egregious example in this regard.

OK, back to the main issue:

>No effect.
>
>I added:
>
>gtk_signal_emit_stop_by_name(GTK_OBJECT(w), "button_press_event");
>
>as the first thing in my callback.  It is doing *something*, because
>it prevents the user from selecting cells or a region.  (I only want
>to put it in the section of my handler that handles second mouse
>button events, but this wa s suitable for testing).

this sounds an issue with the implementation of GtkSheet. I have
certainly performed this trick with GtkCList and GtkCTree and it has
worked like a charm.

--p