Re: utterly terrible performance of Canvas rect items

On Mon, 24 Sep 2001 22:07:40 EDT, Paul Davis <pbd op net>  said:
> i created 7 rects on a canvas. they are all sized at 10x1000000
> units. they do not overlap, they lie on the left edge of the canvas.
> the canvas is antialiased.
>
> updating this canvas on expose events is so impossibly slow that its
> hard to believe. it can take 10 seconds on a PII-450 to draw the
> entire 600 pixel's worth of the canvas's visible width. my processor
> loads spike dramatically.
>
> the performance problem goes away when we make the rects a more
> "reasonable" size of just 10x1000 units. this doesn't help my problem,
> since i actually need rects that are 10 x ULONG_MAX units in size.

Do you *really* need it that long, or are you just trying to avoid handling
the scaling/windowing yoruself?

Clarifying why you need a canvas that big might help us figure out what
to do about the performance...

--
				Valdis Kletnieks
				Operating Systems Analyst