Re: scrolled windows, again

>> how do i keep a scrolled window from thinking that it can
>> be any size it wants to be? or put another way, how does a scrolled
>> window decide how large it wants to be? it can't use the size of the
>> included widget, since the whole point of the scrolled window is to be
>> able to scroll around a larger widget in a smaller viewport.
>>
>> so what does a scrolled window use for its requisition size?
>
>I believe it requests just the size needed for the scrollbars.
>
>Typically what you want to do with a scrolled window is set the
>default size of the toplevel with gtk_window_set_default_size().

the problem is that the scrolled window(s) are packed into:

    a table thats inside
    an hbox thats inside
    an eventbox thats inside
    a vbox thats inside
    a top level window

The size of the top level window has been set, but the scrolled
windows are either too big (they extend below the bottom of the top
level window unless i resize it) or too small (actually, 1 pixel high
if i request no scrollbar).

i've run into this kind of problem before, but i don't remember how to
get it to go away, at least not without set_usize() showing its ugly
had in various places.

BTW, while i'm here i'd like to mention the horrible behaviour of the
Canvas in trying to center itself within its allocated area if the
scroll region is smaller than that area. You specify a scroll region
of, say (0,0) to (100,100) and because the allocation is actually
150x150, the entire canvas pads itself out to move the origin (0,0) to
(25,25) within in the allocated space. Yuk. Its truly horrible
behaviour :) Shall I file a bug report on this?

--p