Re: system idle? / getting XEvents

linas linas org (Linas Vepstas) writes:
> ... anyone care to add this as a standard gdk feature?

You could file an RFE bug perhaps.

> And this will get me events for *all* windows on the screen, not just my
> app windows?   And, as new windows are created by other apps, I'll get
> keystroke events from them as well ?

No, it will get events for all windows GDK knows about. You'll have to
explicitly select for events on windows you care about
(gdk_window_foreign_new(), gdk_window_set_events()).

GDK certainly doesn't do that by default, it would be enormously
inefficient.

> (which, btw, always struck me as a security hole with the X Server,
> as it allows rogue x clients to sniff passwords typed in other windows ...
> but that's another matter).

There is no security at all between X applications; the security model
is that you can only allow trusted applications to connect to your X
server. X apps can destroy each other's windows at will, among other
things.

Havoc