Re: gtk_timeout_change()?

"David J. Topper" <topper virginia edu> writes:
> Is there something like this?  I tried but don't see it.  It would come
> in a lot more handy than having to remove the timeout, then set it
> again.  A good example is a timer linked to a slider.  The timer doesn't
> get updated until the slider motion stops.

There isn't a way to change it, other than add/remove. The add/remove
should work fine though, it's only a couple more lines of code to
type.

> Imagine an app that simply had a flashing circle on the screen,
> controlled by gtk_timeout.  It's better to be able to continuously
> control timer rates but can't seem to do it.

The usual way to do smooth animation is to drop frames as
required. i.e. at each timeout, call g_get_current_time(), compute
elapsed time since the animation started, compute what frame _should_
be showing, and then show that frame. This works better than relying
on exact timeout values.

Note that timeout functions self-remove if you return FALSE, so in
each timeout you can re-add a new timeout for the corrected time to
the next frame, and then return FALSE to drop the previous timeout.

Havoc