inserting button into table spreads table

Hello all,

I am using a GtkTable to build up myTable, using GtkSeperators and
GtkLabels to create myColumns and myRows. The GtkLabels span some
GtkRows and GtkColumns (I just use Gtk... and my... to keep both things
on their own).

When I try to insert a GtkButton into myTable that spans some myColumns
these myColumns spread which I don't want to happen. I fiddled around
with borders, padding, GTK_FILL but didn't get the desired effect.

Did anybody encounter this problem before and/or does anybody have an
idea to stop that from happening?

Thanks in advance

caspar