howto exchange one widget with another widget

Hello there,

it might be a really simple thing but I don't have any clue about it:

I want to show a frame/button/whatsoever in one window and on user
interaction I want to exchange it against another one of the same size.

I read everything I got between my fingers about
widget_show/hide/realize and one thing works pretty fine: to get rid of
the widget I want to get rid of. But I can't show the other widget.

Am I thinking in the right direction? Can someone give me a hint on that
matter?

I use gtk1.2.10 on a linux box

Thanks in advance

caspar