help on installing gtk

my apology if this question is posted before. I couldn't find this topic in
the archived list.

I am trying to install gtk+1.2.7 in Solaris. In the installation directory I
ran configure and then make.
configure ran fine, but I got an error in make.(I have GNU Make version

make[2]: Entering directory `/export/home/buildwl/gtk+-1.2.7/gtk'
Makefile:472: *** Insufficient number of arguments (0) to function `strip'.

I need to build to be able to use other tool. I couldn't
find binary for Solaris in web site.

Thanks in advance,