Re: scrolled windows, again

A short while back, i was trying to figure out a "size-of-scrolled
window" problem. Your last message, with docs on GdkGeometryHints, was
very helpful, but alas, it doesn't appear to have helped.

The widget packing here is very complex. It now looks like this:

    TOPLEVEL WINDOW----------------------------------+
    VBOX---------------------------------------------+
    |HBOX--------------------------------------------+
    ||                                               |
    |+-----------------------------------------------+
    |HBOX--------------------------------------------+
    ||HPANE---------*--------------------------------+
    |||VBOX---------+HPANE--------------------*-----+|
    ||||            ||TABLE-------------------+VBOX+||
    ||||            ||| VBOX----+SCROLLER-----+    |||
    ||||            ||| |       |             |    |||
    ||||            ||| |       |  "one"      |    |||
    ||||            ||| +-------+-------------+    |||
    ||||            ||| SCROLLER+SCROLLER-----+    |||
    ||||            ||| |       |             |    |||
    ||||            ||| | "two" |  "three"    |    |||

what's not shown here is that inside each of scrollers "one" and
"three" is a Canvas widget as well. inside "two" is a vbox.

Now, the canvas widget in "three", and the vbox in "two" can have a
natural size much larger than the screen (hence the scrollers). When I
set things up so that they don't exceed the screen size, everything is
great: the top level window is the right size. but the moment i make
the canvas in "three" and the vbox in "two" larger the current top
level window size (they both change in sync with each other), bingo,
the window is resized to a (sometimes ridiculously) large size.

if i then shrink the canvas+vbox back down, the window size will
shrink, but if i then blow them back up, the window size blows back up
again.

i am sure i am doing a simple thing wrong, but i cannot for the life
of me figure out how to get the two scrollers ("two" and "three") to
not push the window size to their own desired maximum size (i.e. the
size dictated by their child widget).

any clues from anyone would be really helpful.

--p