Static Compiling -> -static option problem

Hello all;

I want to link an aplication GTK that the Glade created your Makefile in
a statically linked, the machine only will have the kernel and this
program, and I don't need the lybrary GTK and very others, but when I
edit the Makefile I put the option -static of this way:

LINK = $(CCLD) $(AM_CFLAGS) $(CFLAGS) $(LDFLAGS) -static -o $@

but when I compile/link using make it says this error message:

/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lgdk_imlib
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

but when compiling dynamically (without -static option) it compiles
normally, the gdk_imlib exists, what I doing wrong ?

Very thanks for any help.

Flavio Alberto