drawing to a particular $DISPLAY

I have run into a problem for which I have been unable to find a solution.

The problem started when I was developing a small 'xmessage' clone using Ruby
and its Gtk binding library.  Xmessage has an option, '-display' which allows
root, in my case via cron/at, to put the xmessage on the designated display.

I couldn't find such a mechanism in my Ruby Gtk lib, and figured it was just
an incomplete implementation.  So, I began looking around the "real" Gtk libs,
GTK, GDK, and GLIB, but was unable to find any mechanism that an app can use
which would allow itself to specify where it will be drawn.

I haven't looked at the 'xmessage' code to see exactly how the '-display'
option works.  I am aware of Xdialog and other xmessage clones.

Does GTK have a mechanism  similiar to the xmessage '-display' option?

Where can I find out more about it?

If not, is there a work around?

Thank you.

--