gtk+ library problems

I decided to install slack 8 and the the gtk-- libraries. I like to use both
sets of libraries(gtk+/gtk--). Well I tried to install another version of
gtk+ and I think I goofed something up. I keep getting an error that
libpixmap.o is missing. The reason I reinstalled was because gtk-- said I
needed a newer version of gtk+ but I was never able to get it working. Sorry
I cant remember all the details of the problem, it happened last week and
I've been real busy. Anyone know a foolproof way for me to make sure my gtk+
is fine? Reinstall? If so let me know the details. I'm getting segmentation
faults for gnomeicu and gnome terminal and its because of the missing
libpixmap.o Thanks for any info.

thanks
paul