Regarding the menubar widget...

Howdy, all.

There's one thing I've always loved about MacOS since version 8.0, and
that's how the menubar behaves.

Windows.

Method 1: You click the menubar. A menu appears. You click outside of
the menubar to make it disappear, or the menubar itself. You click a
menuitem to activate it.

Method 2: You hold the mousebuttun down over the menubar. A menu
appears. You release the button on a menuitem to activate it. However,
in order to close the menu, you have to click outside of the menubar, or
click the menubar again. Releasing the button outside of the menu will
not close it.

On Gtk+ this works in pretty much the same way, except that in method 2
you can release the mouse button outside of the menu to make it
disappear.

MacOS.

Method 1: Exactly like Method 1 on Windows.

Method 2: You hold the mousebutton down over the menubar. A menu
appears. You release the button on a menuitem to activate it. You
release the button either on the menubar or outside the menu to close
it.

And here's my point.

The MacOS menu widget seems to offer the by far most versatile
behaviours. I was wondering whether it's possible to configure Gtk+ to
act this way. I haven't found anything about it while searching on the
Internet. Since I suspect that this is not a current feature (also
because it would probably be the default behaviour because of its
versatility), I was wondering if anyone would be interested in
implementing this behaviour into Gtk+.

I started thinking about this as I was trying out the Ximian GNOME
Desktop Environment. Thought someone might be interested.

Peace.
Helgi Hrafn Gunnarsson
helgihg centrum is