Re: Fw: Draggable Toolbars, problems & suggestions

"TG" <tg excoriate net> writes:
> Generally, the Windows behavior is lightning fast, and just seems to be the
> "right thing". I guess that people have noticed there is room for improvement,
> but I'm interested in what the plans are for the next GTK, and whether people
> are looking at more mature toolkits for ideas.

This is a known issue - GTK doesn't actually contain a lot of code
here (GNOME apps are using GnomeDock, which is not in GTK).  We do
look at Windows, Java, Qt, etc. whenever a new widget is being
designed.

We have vague ideas that GTK 2.2 (a future version at an unknown time)
will contain a revamp of menus, toolbars, a dock widget, and a new API
for creating menus and toolbars that handles things like MDI and menu
merge for component systems. Also, it would have a model-view
architecture. At that time we'd do a lot of dock widget work to get
nice behavior. Who knows when this will actually happen...

Havoc