4 pix animation

First off lemme apologize for the html based mail... my computer is messed up right now.

My problem is... I want to make a 4 pixmpa animation, each pixmap being displayed 4 seconds apart. I read up on it, and first you display your first pixmap, then do the periodic timer, and then replace the pixmap with a new pixmap. I can get it to display the first pixmap, wait the alotted amount of time, and then seg faults. Lemme give some portions of my code...

/* generating my pixmaps... i have 4 different pictures */
pix1 = gdk_pixmap_create_from_xpm (window->window,
				    &mask1,
				    &style->bg[GTK_STATE_NORMAL],
				    "./cands.xpm");
pix2 = gdk_pixmap_create_from_xpm (window->window,
				    &mask2,
				    &style->bg[GTK_STATE_NORMAL],
				    "./agftp.xpm");

/* Create a gtk pixmap, display the first pixmap, wait 4 seconds */
 pixmap = gtk_pixmap_new (pix1, mask1);
 gtk_container_add (GTK_CONTAINER (window), vbox);
 gtk_container_border_width (GTK_CONTAINER (vbox), 1);
 gtk_box_pack_start (GTK_BOX (vbox), pixmap, FALSE, TRUE, 0);
 gdk_pixmap_unref (pix1);
 gtk_timeout_add (4000, NULL, NULL);

It works to this point. Now I read that you need to use the command

gtk_pixmap_set (GTK_PIXMAP (pixmap), pix2, mask2);

to replace the pixmap, but if I insert this line in my code, it displays the last picture in the seriers first, and then seg faults after the timeout. So either way I run into problems. Any suggestions?

Eric