Re: *precise* event times available? (for handwriting capture)

In message <3B0020E9 87FCC121 math buffalo edu>you write:
>For an application that captures handwriting done
>on a graphics tablet, I need *precise* motion-event timings.
>
>Specifically, I need the motion-event times accurate to 1 millisecond
>or better.
>
>The times provided to my callback in the event->time field appear to
>be rounded to a multiple of 20 milliseconds, and are therefore much
>too coarse.
>
>The function gettimeofday has sufficient resolution (microseconds),
>but must be called in the event callback at whatever time the
>callback is called. And unfortunately, the motion events appear to
>be buffered, so that the motion event callback receives bursts of
>events: 3 to 5 events in a sub-millisecond interval, with about 20ms
>between bursts.
>
>Thus neither of these approaches yield the time-resolution I need.

Talk to the X people. This isn't about GTK, its about X Windows and
also POSIX operating systems and input hardware design. X may or may
not be able to do what you want, and other underlying display models
that GTK runs on may or may not be able to do what you want.

--p