Re: GTK & SOUND

On Thu, 03 May 2001 17:00:54 EDT, Paul Davis said:
> Not good enough. There is no way to ensure that the output will be
> heard. So, if the alert is critical, the person may miss it. If its
> not critical, why bother?

By this logic, gdk_beep() should be removed, because the speaker may
not be operational.

By this logic, *ANY* feature that may not work everywhere should be totally
ignored as an option.

gtk shouldn't support 24-bitplane graphics.  If it's not doable in 8-bit,
why bother?  Seems like a lot of people *like* 24-bit and 3D extensions, and
programs are written to take advantage of them.  Are you saying that people
shouldn't use OpenGL because not every system has one?

There shouldn't be support for mice with more than 2 buttons, because not
everybody has one.  Are you saying that there should be no provisions for
binding mouse buttons 4 and 5 because not everybody has one?

There shouldn't be support for alert dialog boxes, because there's no
guarantee that the user *looked* and *comprehended* it before they
clicked "OK".

Companies that sell pagers shouldn't be in business, because you *can* be
out of range and miss a page.

That's a slippery slope you're taking the first step on....

I *DID NOT* say that Gtk should support sound.  WHat I *said* was that
large classes of programs can *benefit from sound if available*.

OK, so *TOTALLY STRICTLY ANALLY-RETENTIVELY SPEAKING*, the fact that I use
text-to-speech to tell me who my mail is from is "not critical, so why
bother?".  Yes, I *might* be out of the office.  Yes, I *might* miss it.

However, it's certainly a *NICE* feature to have - 85% of the time, I *am*
in my office, and I *do* get the alert, and it helps me manage the time.

--
				Valdis Kletnieks
				Operating Systems Analyst