Re: expanding horizontally but not vertically

>I've read over this code numerous times and I don't see how it will
>expand at all?  Let me give an example:

it won't. the point is that its all in the "fill" and "expand"
arguments given each time you pack something. if you pack something in
a box with "expand" set to false, the something (which could be a box
itself) will not expand under any circumstances. if you set "expand"
true, but "fill" to false, then although the containing box will
expand, the something will not (i may have this backwards - check the
docs).

so by carefully setting the expand/fill options you can get what you
want.

however:

>+---------------------------------------------+
>|Username: <Entryfield> Password: <Entryfield>|
>+----------------------+----------------------+
>|                      |                      |
>|                      |                      |
>|  This should expand  |  So should this      |
>|                      |                      |
>| Status line                                 |

looks like a case for GtkTable to me, again with careful useful of the
expand and fill flags for the gtk_table_attach() call.

--p