how to know a widget?

hello. i am starting with gtk.
should i start watching what is about the not yet released gtk ?
i have some doubts here.
I was starting reading the smaples on the tutorial, and programming with glade.
the tutorias always reuse the widget ponters, while the glade generated code dont.
either way, the widget is lost for all other functions.
I am making a small program that will fill a clist with the content of a database.
it will do so in the begining of the program and later, each time a button is pressed.

I have't find a way to do this. all functions seem to want a pointer to the widget in question.How can i get it?
I would use it with another button to, that when it is pressed, it needs to read the status and contents of a couple of other widgets, to update the db from there.

Thank you very much for any light you can shade :)

--
ICQ: 15605359 Bicho
                                  =^..^=