Pixmap in Label

Hi.
   I want to place a pixmap in a label or something which will be place in a table in the window.  The reason that I want to place it in a label is that it may be hidden or shown depending on the state of th sytem. The usual call for a pixmap is

pixmap = gdk_pixmap_new( area->window, 160, 160, -1 )

I tried changing area->window to label

ie. pixmap = gdk_pixmap_new( label, 160, 160, -1 ), but this made no difference.

I tried typecasting label as a GTK_WINDOW but not allowed.
Can I put a Pixamp in a label. I think it can be put in a button, but I dont want any functionality with the pixmap.

Ciaran.