Re: GTK+-1.2.9 Released

Valdis Kletnieks vt edu writes:
> On Mon, 05 Mar 2001 14:10:29 EST, Havoc Pennington said:
> > Right. Adding something like a GTK_ALLOW_INSECURE environment variable
> > doesn't seem like a terrible idea, though it's too late to do so for
> > 1.2.9.
>
> Wrong.
>
> A hacker can just say 'export GTK_ALLOW_INSECURE' and then run his
> exploit.

Obviously. My thought is that the purpose of the check in GTK isn't to
stop exploits, it's to stop apps from creating the situation that
allows exploits. i.e. it is really just a "fix your app" warning, even
though it exits as a way of punctuating the warning.

> A better solution would be to have a global variable inside the GTK libs
> that the application itself could set if it was willing to take the risks.

I like that a bit less, because it doesn't require the user to type
anything. I would like users to say "please screw me," otherwise
one clueless app author can hose a bunch of users.

Perhaps the best solution is a combination, GTK_ALLOW_INSECURE enables
makes the gtk_disable_security_check() function do something, by
default gtk_disable_security_check() would be a no-op. So then you
need both the app author and the user to agree to make the app
insecure.

Havoc