focus and notebook tabs?

I'm using a gtknotebook, and need to have some pages inaccessible
depending on the state of the program.  I'm using gtk version 1.2.10.

My first try at this was to simply get the tab and set it insensitive;
when I did that, the tab ``greyed out'' appropriately, but if I
clicked on it I went to the tab's page anyway.  Following a suggestion
on the gtkmm mailing list (I'm actually working in gtkmm, but I think
I'm looking at gtk troubles here), I intercepted the page-switch
signal, and only let the switch happen if the tab was sensitive.

This is working, but I'm having trouble controlling keyboard
navigation.  I can use the <tab> key to set the focus on the
greyed-out tab, even though pressing the <enter> key when it has the
focus has no effect (well, it tries to switch pages, but I'm
intercepting that).

Following another gtkmm suggestion, I'm using GTK_OBJECT_UNSET_FLAGS
to unset the GTK_CAN_FOCUS flag.  This is having no effect; it still
gets the focus.

So...  how should I be doing this?
--
Joseph J. Pfeiffer, Jr., Ph.D.       Phone -- (505) 646-1605
Department of Computer Science       FAX   -- (505) 646-1002