GC's

Hey,
I'm trying to get the hang of GdkGC's but I can't find any decent
documentation...
For example, if I wanted to draw something in, say, red on a pixmap, how
would I go about that?

I currently
do this, but it doesn't seem to work

    GdkGc selectedGC;

    //I think the following line is the problem
    // I have tried this with the pixmap instead of widget->window
    // but then the colormap is null.. with this code, nothing happens
    GdkColormap *cmap = gdk_window_get_colormap (widget->window);

      GdkColor cred;

				  cred.red =1.0;
				  cred.green = 0;
				  cred.blue = 0;

				  gdk_color_alloc (cmap, &cred);
				  selectedGC = gdk_gc_new (pictureBuff);

	  			gdk_gc_set_foreground (selectedGC, &cred);

cheers,
Alex Mathy