Re: garbage collection
- From: Skip Montanaro <skip pobox com>
- To: Valdis Kletnieks vt edu
- Cc: weigelt nibiru thur de, GTK Mailing List <gtk-list gnome org>
- Subject: Re: garbage collection
- Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2001 14:52:50 -0500
Valdis> Not really. Remember that memory would *STILL* get wasted even
Valdis> with a garbage collector, if there isn't something imposing
Valdis> rules. If the programmer doesn't call free(), the memory won't
Valdis> get freed with a garbage collector, because there will still be
Valdis> a reference (the pointer that wasn't free()ed).
On the other hand, coupling garbage collection of containers with the
current reference counting scheme might make sense if it can be pulled off.
Python is reference counted. In 2.0 a garbage collector was added to
reclaim circular garbage.
Skip Montanaro (skip pobox com)
] [Thread Prev