Allocating a lot of colors

Hello,

I'm writing a Image processing application, in which I need to show intermediate results of my calculations as an image in a window, nothing more. First of all, I will like to ask whether drawing_area widget with a backing pixmap is the best choice for this? I will have to call gdk_draw_point{s}( ) in this case I guess

Second, when the image changes (it does after every 50 msec), colors may need to be allocated/deallocated. Doing gdk_colormap_alloc_color() in a loop seems to be a grossly inefficient way of doing this. Is there any other option? BTW, since the application is only meant for internal use, I do not have to make it work for 8-bit displays if it helps in any way :)

Regards,
Lokesh