Widget size

I have a small example of a button within a hbox.  The hbox has, say a
height of 100 pixels, the button has a minimum height of 25 pixels.  When
the button is in the hbox, it also has an allocated height of 100 pixels.
When I take it out of the hbox, its allocated height is 25 pixels, however
when I put the button back in the hbox (this is all done on-screen), the
allocated height is still 25.  Why is this and how do I get the allocation
to update immediately.

Thanks for your time

Ian King