Re: Help!

Sergio Arregui Ojeda wrote:
> i have to develop a system that has to plot data that is acquired
> trhough the serial port, i have done most of this part using
> the realtime plot demo that comes with extragtk, but i have a problem
> because it's a lot of data and my machine gets very busy
> while plotting, i think that this is 'cause the data does not
> get released, instead it keeps it in memory, and i want to know
> if theres is a way that this data can be freed (or deallocated)
> so this way it speed up things.

Hi Sergio, memory should be freed up; if it's not getting freed, you
have a bug somewhere. Maybe you're not _unref()ing stuff you should be
unrefing?

You could try a leak checker to try to track the problem down. memprof
is nice and very easy to use:

	http://people.redhat.com/otaylor/memprof/

Run your program with no input first, and nail the easy leaks. Then
start adding more data and see where new leaks appear.

If you want something more sophisticated, you could download a trial
version of purify:

	http://www.rational.com

(100MB download, solaris/irix/hp-ux only, 15 days only).

HTH, John