compiling gtk+-1.2.8 made no changes

Hi,

I've download gtk+-1.2.8.tar.gz and unpack it. I want
to play around with the source code and make some
changes on gtkfilesel.c (where i disable
delete,remove, create dir function, just for fun :-)
). But when I compile it (./configure; make; make
install), there is no changes. File_Open / Save_As
dialog box still same as before. Then I remove gtk and
gdk directory and unpack gtk+-1.2.8 but it still same.
I have no idea. Or I need remove gtk+-1.2.8 &
gtk+-devel(rpm version). Can anyone guide me or give
any clue. For your info, I run RedHat 6.2.

regards,
castelo