Tutorial on colour, styles, themes etc?

Can someone point me to a tutorial on the use of styles, themes and colours?

The details available at gtk.org seem very skimpy, unless I have missed
something...

My particular task is to enable different text colours to indicate
information status, as for example which of a list of processes is the
one that is currently active.  Another is to set the pre-light colour for
certain text fields (in eventboxes, of course) where the right-button will
give access to a pop-up menu.

I understand that the direct use of colour-setting is deprecated,
because it might clash with the user's chosen theme.

--
Oliver Elphick                                Oliver Elphick lfix co uk
     "But the wisdom that is from above is first pure, then