Building on HPUX

Hi all,
I'm trying to install gdk/gtk v1.2.10 on an HPUX v10.20 box, using the
native (non-gcc) compiler.
I ran into a couple of problems with GDK, but eventually got it installed
(Details below), but I'm hitting a wall with GTK.

System
  HPUX 10.20
  autoconf 2.13
  automake 1.4
  gdk/gtk 1.2.10

For GDK, here's what I had to do:
    # Use the native compiler
    % setenv CC c89
    # Optimize, and get a #define in there to handle timeval, pid_t, etc
    % setenv CFLAGS "+O2 -D_HPUX_SOURCE"
    # Configure, specifying the architecture as it isn't found correctly
    % ./configure --host=hppa-hp-hpux10.20
    # Build and install
    % gmake
    % gmake install

Now, when trying to build GTK, the problem comes with #defines, -D flags,
etc.

If I leave the HPUX_SOURCE flag (or any sort of _SOURCE flag) in the CFLAGS,
then configure fails to find GLIB.
Looking in the config.log, the actual problem is
    cc: "/usr/include/sys/types.h", line 102: error 1000: Unexpected symbol: "long".

If I
    % setenv CFLAGS +O2
    % ./configure --host=hppa-hp-hpux10.20
then this will work correctly.  However, when I actually try to compile:
    % gmake
    cc: "gdk.c", line 99: error 1574: Unknown size for "start".

I'm not really familiar with autoconf/automake, and am not sure if I'm
doing something wrong to get it to build.  If anyone sees what is wrong, or
wants to help pursue this, please let me know...
Ian