Misc newbie stuff I can't work out

I've looked through the docs but i can't figure out how to do some things:

When GtkHPaned/GtkVPaned are moved by the user how do i get the position they
are moved to? I want to restore these settings when the program next runs.

A find/replace thing in GtkText widgets. How do i know if a piece of text
is visible or how do i scroll to it so that it is (kind of like ctree_node_moveto).

How do i get a GtkTable to contract when i hide() a row of stuff it contains?
It simply adds more space between the remaining rows (unless i resize the
window slightly, then it shrinks. can i make it do that myself?)

TIA :-)

--
Tom "Moretom" Morton (www.moretom.net)