Re: Setting size of SpinButton

On 31 Jan 2001, Lars Clausen wrote:

> On 31 Jan 2001, Havoc Pennington wrote:
>

>> Lars Clausen <lrclause cs uiuc edu> writes:
>>> I'm looking at a SpinButton that goes from -100.0 to 100.0, and the
>>> Entry field turns out too small -- when you're at -10.0 or below, the
>>> digits get cut off.  From the spinbutton example in the tutorial, I
>>> just see the gtk_widget_set_usize, which is not friendly to different
>>> fonts etc.  Is there a way I can say 'This spinbutton should be large
>>> enough to accommodate "-100.0"'?
>>>

>> Not really, though we have a bug filed to implement that for 2.0. At
>> the moment you would need to get gdk_string_width() for -100.0 using
>> widget->style->font.
>
> Thanks, that sounds like a reasonable solution.  Curiously, I have to
> multiply the width I get with 1.5 to get one that actually works.

I stand corrected.  I had to add a bit to allow for the arrows.
Unfortunately, since SpinButton is an Entry, I can't just set the usize of
the Entry and get the right result.  This hack won't work right with other
themes, I'm afraid.

I have the exact same problem with GtkMenu, it doesn't like to resize
itself to accomodate longer items (even when prompted with
gtk_widget_queue_resize()).  Instead I find the longest item and set that
as usize, adding a but to allow for border and handle.  Not a pretty sight,
but better.

-Lars

--
Lars Clausen (http://shasta.cs.uiuc.edu/~lrclause) | Hårdgrim of Numenor
"I do not agree with a word that you say, but I    | Retainer of Sir Kegg