Re: question about double using a thread

Ronald Bultje wrote:

For a simple application, I use the call:

system("a_command");

this runs this application. Now, this application needs some simple user
input ("press enter to do this", etc). I tried creating a second thread to
do this, but this will not press enter for this thread but for its own. So
the a_command programm still thinks enter wasn't pressed.
Can someone think of a way to give this user input without having to do it
console by hand? (I mean, I try to make a GUI! :) )

Don't use "system" to run the external program - use "popen" instead, which returns a set of pipes you can use in your main application to write to the child's stdin and read from its stdout.

If I recall correctly, the one caveat to this technique is that the child process won't work if it's got an X UI of its own - check the GTK+ FAQ for the complete scoop.

Regards,
Timothy M. Shead