Confused about canvas size and gtk without X

I'm trying to display some rectangles on a canvas (done) and
track the cursor by displaying it on the status bar.  WHen my
screen gets configured I set the canvas width and height

gint configure_event( GtkWidget *widget
                     ,GdkEventConfigure *event )
{
  if (pixmap) gdk_pixmap_unref(pixmap);

  canvas_x        = widget->allocation.width;
  canvas_y        = widget->allocation.height;

The is what I thought I needed to give me a size of the canvas
so that I may scale my data correctly.  What happens is that my data
is alwasy larger than the canvas (currently testing only 2 rectangles)
and my mouse tracking changes with the size of my canvas.  At default
tracking appears to be normal, when maximized tracking is WAY off.

What could be the problem ???

Also I've been unable to find much explanation of just what gtk without
is.  It appears to work well on my winder98 box and I suppose that it is
meant to access the linux graphics (directX ???).  Will
something/doesitexist
for a SUN sloaris box or will we SUN users be SOL and have to continue
hitting
out X server to draw thousands of rectangles ?

--