Erroneous colors problem

  I've constructed a very simple GTK+ app. from Glade. The part in
question is a two-part hbox containing a 16-ish colour pixmap in part one,
and a text-box in part two.

  Within Glade [and a copy of GTK's pixmap.c example prog.] the pixmap
appears fine - blue data on a white B/G - as does the text - black text on
a white B/G.

  But running the compiled app. gives me the sort of thing I'd expect if I
were running out of colours on my display: dodgy colours chosen for the
pixmap (inc. a grey B/G instead of white) and loss of a white B/G for the
text box.

  This happens on a 256 colour display with glade still running (so all
the colours that are required are available), and also on a 16M TrueColor
display!

  What could cause GTK to start picking daft colours like this? It's not
my theme, as it happens for other users with diff. themes, inc. the
default.

--
  Neil Bird   Principal Engineer                     |