Re: aligning widgets

Timothy Flechtner <Timothy Flechtner tellabs com> writes:

> i would much prefer to leave everything to the provided layout
> mechanisms in gtk, but i haven't found a way to do and:
> 1. have my headers not scroll off the page.  i put my table in a
> scrolled window, but i'd like to always be able to see
>    the headers.
>
> 2. some of the columns in the table contain combo boxes.  i'd like to
> make the column wide enough to display the
>    largest string listed in the combo box's list.  i can do that by
> getting the list's font and asking it to calculate
>    the width, but i don't know of any way other than then manually
> setting the width, to achieve this.

Oh, I see. Yeah there is no good way to do this. Normally you would
use the CList, but then you can't have the combo boxes.

Personally my approach to this would be to use a CList, and change the
UI so e.g. there's a combo box to one side that corresponds to the
selected CList row and is used to edit that row. i.e. instead of
in-place editing, have a little editor thing for the selected row.

I'd say that while this may not be the ideal UI, it may be the best UI
that's possible to do with GTK in a reasonable timeframe.

Havoc