Re: more pipe questions

On Fri, Feb 16, 2001 at 01:58:48AM -0800, George MacDonald wrote:
> Ronald Bultje wrote:
>

> >         sprintf(cmd,"tail -0f %s/%s/%s",getenv("HOME"),".studio",
> > "lavrec.log");
>
> -0f ????   What's that do. I tried it via the shell on my system and it
> produces no ouput!  Nothing to do with async/flush!!!!

Same as tail -f -0. -f means tail doesn't quit when it gets to the end of the file, it watches for more stuff to be stuck on the end and prints that out when it happens, eg. you can use it on log files. tail -f by itself also prints the last 10 lines of the file, which I thought would be unexpected in Ronald's program. -0 means print 0 lines before sitting and waiting...