Re: Accelerators in GTK+

"Padraig O'Briain" <Padraig Obriain ireland sun com> writes:

> Is there any documentation or tutorial on the use of Accelerator keys in GTK+? I
> found a few paragraphs in the book Developing Linux Applications with GTK+ and
> GDK by Eric Harlow but did not find anything in the GTK+ tutorial or
> documentation.
>
> Am I correct in assuming that accelerators must be specified when the code in
> written; i.e. it is not possible to specify them subsequently in a resource
> file?

> I am also interested in, what Motif calls a mnemonic, i.e. this is typically one
> character in a label of a button in a menu which is underlined and when entered
> on the keyboard activates the button. Is using gtk_item_factory_... the only way
> to achieve this?

You may want to look at:

 http://people.redhat.com/otaylor/gtk/keyboard.ps

It is a chapter from a book project I'm involved in (please don't
redistribute.)  It explains most of the relevant issues in GTK+-1.2
key handling.

Note that the handling of accelerators does differ somewhat between
plain GTK+, gnome-libs, and Bonobo.

Regards,
                                                   Owen