gtk1.2.10 installs libgtk-1.2.so.0.9.1

I am trying to install graphics with Gnome on a "Linux from scratch" pentium box (No graphical capability until I install it). I have installed X, and proceeded to try creating Gnome from source code. My attempt to configure gtk+-1.2.10 result in these libraries: libgtk.a, libgtk.la, and libgtk-1.2.so.0.9.1. When I attempt to configure gnome-libs-1.4.1.2, I receive an error which causes failure, "checking for GTK -version >= 1.2.0... no."

My commands (as root) for the gtk library are:
	./configure			\
		--prefix=/usr		\
		--sysconfdir=/etc	\
		--localstatedir=/var/	\
		--infodir=/usr/share/info	\
		--mandir=/usr/share/man	\
		--with-gnu-ld		\
		--disable-nls		\
		--disable-xim
	make check
	make
	rm -rf /usr/include/gtk
	make install
	ldconfig

A ls check of the /usr/lib directory indicates the libraries mentioned above, and symbolic links:
	libgtk-1.2.so.0 -> libgtk-1.2.so.0.9.1
	libgtk.so -> libgtk-1.2.so.0.9.1

Why is this 0.9.1 appended to the end of the library? It seems to be the reason gnome-libs-1.4.1.2 is failing to configure. I even tried doing a "make distclean" and repeating the proceedure, with the same results.