Invalid UTF8 string

Hello!

I'm currently trying to port some of my apps to GTK+-2.0 but I got a
problem. When trying to create a lable or any other widget with a
caption that contains german umlauts the text is cutted and only the
part before that character is displayed. I got a message like this on
stderr:

** WARNING **: Invalid UTF8 string passed to pango_layout_set_text()

Okay, I know what's wrong but what can I do to bring these umlauts onto
my label? I'm not famillar with pango.

Thank's a lot,

Olaf