Accessing a MenuItem's Label

Hi there,

I have a MenuItem that I created with gtk_menu_item_new_with_label(text).
Now I want to get hold of that text again. The way that should be done
seems to be through gtk_label_get(). However, somehow I can't seem to find
a pointer to the label. I have tried both GTK_BIN(item)->child and
gtk_container_get_children(GTK_CONTAINER(item)) but both return NULL.
Could somebody please point me to the Right Way of doing this? (Oh, this
is with gtk+-1.2.10)

TIA Felix

PS: Please CC me in the reply as I am not subscribed to the list.