GtkText inside GtkScrolledWindow - horizontal scrolling?

Hi all.

[GTK+-1.2.10]

I am at a dead end here. Can somebody tell me, why in the following
code-snippet the horizontal scrollbar doesn't work, but the vertical
does?

   textfield = gtk_text_new (NULL, NULL);
   gtk_editable_set_editable (GTK_EDITABLE (textfield), TRUE);
   gtk_widget_show (GTK_WIDGET (textfield));
   gtk_text_set_line_wrap (GTK_TEXT (textfield), FALSE);
   gtk_text_set_word_wrap (GTK_TEXT (textfield), FALSE);

   scrollwin = gtk_scrolled_window_new (NULL, NULL);
   gtk_container_add (GTK_CONTAINER (scrollwin), textfield);
   gtk_widget_show (GTK_WIDGET (scrollwin));

I tried various things, including creating the GtkAdjustments by hand
and setting them explicitely, the result is the same...   :-/

Thanks for any hints.

Bye,
        Simon
--