Re: Accented characters

On 16 Aug, Havoc Pennington wrote:

> gtk uk2 net writes:
>>
>> Last year I wrote a GTK based GUI to a database, linux 2.2.15 and GTK
>> 1.2.8. I tried to port the application to a new system, linux 2.4.2 xith
>> GTK 1.2.9 and all the labels that contain accented letters don't show,
>> all of it disappears, not just the guilty characters! Since the
>> application is in Spanish, this is of ctritical importance. Labels with
>> no special characters show up just fine.
>>
>> The guilty party is:    gtk_label_new ("text that won't show, jéjé!!");
>> but
>> get-window_set_title (GTK_WIDGET(window), "text will show, jéjé!!");
>>
>> The file ./gtk+-1.2.9/NEWS states that one of the improvements is
>> "changes so that using fonts (as well as fontsets) for non-iso-8859-1
>> locales will work". By the way Spanish enters in 8859-1 and doesn't work
>> anymore. What do I do?
>>

> Is your locale properly set, or are you trying to use Latin-1 with the
> "C" locale?
>
> For example,
>  LANG=es_ES appname
>
> or whatever.

 I do have a properly set locale. I even reinstalled the operating
 system in Spanish, RedHat 7.1 allows that, not in polished translation
 by the way, and running /usr/bin/locale gave the following output:

LANG=es_ES euro
LC_CTYPE="es_ES euro"
LC_NUMERIC="es_ES euro"
LC_TIME="es_ES euro"
LC_COLLATE="es_ES euro"
LC_MONETARY="es_ES euro"
LC_MESSAGES="es_ES euro"
LC_PAPER="es_ES euro"
LC_NAME="es_ES euro"
LC_ADDRESS="es_ES euro"
LC_TELEPHONE="es_ES euro"
LC_MEASUREMENT="es_ES euro"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="es_ES euro"
LC_ALL=

Something that bothers me is that accented characters show perfectly in
the window title using get_window_set_title but not in the labels using
gtk_label_new, where the whole contents disappear, not only the special
characters. With GTK 1.2.8, I never bothered about locales and
everything was OK.

Regards,

Henry Gall