Emitting a generic signal

I've got a multithreaded app.  Apparently the main process
needs to do the GUI updating.  So I need to emit a signal
to the main process and tell it to update the GUI.  Basically
display this window using this data, etc.

The only data the signal needs to pass is a long int.

But this signal will not be attached to any widget (that I know
of) since the thread is just connecting to a remote server,
etc.

The only routines I see for emitting signals and connecting signals
require some sort of  Widget that it's attached to.  If someone
could give me a short example of how to emit a generic signal and
capture it in the main process, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks.
Brad House
Sr. Developer
Main Street Softworks, Inc.