Re: gtk_widget_destroy, gtk_object_destroy

On 6 Aug 2001, Havoc Pennington wrote:

> Esteban Quijano Vincenzi <Esteban Quijano artinsoft com> writes:
> > What's the difference between gtk_widget_destroy and
> > gtk_object_destroy?
>
> Nothing whatsoever.
>
> Implementation:
>
> void
> gtk_widget_destroy (GtkWidget *widget)
> {
>   g_return_if_fail (widget != NULL);
>   g_return_if_fail (GTK_IS_WIDGET (widget));
>   g_return_if_fail (GTK_OBJECT_CONSTRUCTED (widget));
>
>   gtk_object_destroy ((GtkObject*) widget);
> }
>
> gtk_widget_destroy() is from GTK 1.0, which had no GtkObject.

well, for 1.0 (april 1998), we definitely had a GtkObject already
and therefore gtk_object_destroy().

however, tracking this down, just for the fun of it, GtkObject was
introduced with the first version of Gtk+ (i.e. Gtk + signals + types),
thrown out 1997-01-28. indeed the last version before that, plain Gtk
shipped with gimp-0.60 in july 1996 just had gtkwidget.[hc] with
gtk_widget_destroy, and no gtkobject.[hc].
so there's a long tradition of not deprecating gtk_widget_destroy()
eventhough we could have, the reason being that it was used much in
third-party code.

> Havoc

---
ciaoTJ