Re: GTK 1.2 Tree Item Signal

Jonathan Smith <jonsmith dragonstar dhs org> writes:
> > Anyhow: I've given you my advice. Take it or leave it.
>

> The problem is that your advice is to rewrite code once to something else
> broken and soon to be removed and the repeat the process when 2.0 comes
> out to something else.  THAT is what bothers me most.

If the GtkTree bugs are not impacting you, you don't _need_ to rewrite
until a) GtkTree is actually removed and b) you no longer want to rely
on an old GTK version. Incompatible GTK versions will install in
parallel, so users and developers can have all of 1.2, 2.0, and 3.0
available.

GtkTree won't actually be removed until (at soonest) GTK 3.0, which is
(at soonest) probably 2 years away. But even then you can keep using
GTK 2.0 for as long as you want, though most likely 3-4 years away it
won't be very actively maintained. GtkCTree may well be around even
longer than that, though predicting things on that timescale makes me
plenty nervous.

So porting is not exactly urgent; and porting is never forced, since
you can always keep using old versions.

Havoc