Re: Memory leaks and destruction of widgets

"Ian King" <king eiffel com> writes:

> Okay, I do have a global tooltips object, I do have this convenience feature
> that connects the tooltip text, but if I do not explicitly reset the tooltip
> text with a NULL pointer then the memory just keeps going up and up... and
> up.  I thought this was the solution to my problems, our application is
> creating a lot of widgets and can leak up to half a megabyte per change of
> state, tracking down this problem is a bit of a nightmare.

Perhaps there's a bug, or perhaps your widgets never get the destroy
signal properly emitted - it's hard to say. If you file a
bugzilla.gnome.org report with test case, someone will look into it
eventually, or you could see what you can figure out.

Look at the source code for gtk_tooltips_set_tip(), it clearly frees
the tooltip data when the widget is destroyed.

> Apart from the obvious I meant, with tooltips being one.  As I am not
> directly deallocating any memory (or unreferencing any object), just setting
> the tooltip to a NULL pointer, I was wondering if there were any other
> scenarios such as this.

I'm not sure this scenario exists - if it did, I would consider it
very broken. I don't know of other such things.

Havoc