Re: dynamic menu shortcut allocation in gtk+ 1.2

On Sun, Apr 29, 2001 at 09:47:11AM -0400, Havoc Pennington wrote:

> There are two meanings of default-disabled:
>
>  - turned off for GtkMenu until enabled programmatically; e.g.
>    the item factory would enable it. This should be done, because
>    right now e.g. all option menus allow accel changing. So
>    accel changing should only be enabled if someone adds the
>    code to save the changed accelerators.
>
>  - a user setting that toggles whether accel changing is enabled in
>    the case where the programmer has enabled it for a specific menu,
>    e.g. for item factory menus. This is no doubt more controversial
>    but I think should still be off by default.
>
> No doubt this discussion belongs on gtk-devel-list.

I'm not on that list but want to give some input as a user.

When I use the dynamic key bindings it's for temporary tasks. When I
repitedly have to access a rare menuitem in a session. I'm not att
all intrested in saving my keybinding.

So Your sugestion is fine with me if I have two user options more.

 - To enable accel changing on all menus.

 - To dissable saving of souch settings.

To be able to restore all acceleratur during a session would be
nice to. Changing accelerators in GTK is so simple that You can
do it for a specifik task. Thats great, but then You want to
get back to saine settings. Saving the settings is nothing I
want (whel, passably ass a explisit option, save curent accel
seting in the preferens dialog, but *not* as default).

MHO /Lars