Re: Suggestion for GTK+ 2.0 distribution...

Raymond Wan <rwan cs mu oz au> writes:

> 	I was wondering if it would be possible to add some text file in
> the GTK+ 2.0 distribution (whenever it comes out) that gives brief
> instructions on how to port something from 1.2.x to 2.0?  Maybe not even
> instructions, but three lists of widgets:  one of widgets that should be
> changed (because GTK 2.0 does something more efficiently), another list
> that must be changed, and a last one with widgets that will not require
> any changes.

We'll have something along these lines anyhow. Already there's
docs/Changes-2.0.txt but it isn't very complete or detailed.

> 	I took a brief look at the 2.0 API documentation and I'm wondering
> how hard the porting will be -- can anyone give any hints to the expected
> difficulty in porting?  Of course it "has" to be done since there are a
> lot of features in 2.0 that I'm looking forward to!  =)

It's not that hard to port apps. It's somewhat trickier to port custom
widgets. And if you were doing weird things that weren't really kosher
those are more likely to break than straightforward things.

Also, while it's fairly easy to get things compiling, there's more
work if you want to get things really taking advantage of new features
(i18n, mnemonics, text/tree widgets, etc.)

Havoc